Cosplay Costume Write-up: Cinderella
Like many I grew up loving Disney. I had long wanted to make one of the classic animated princesses but it wasn’t until some friends proposed a group that I finally found time to make one.
I started with a store bought pattern but quickly found that it’s skirt would not fit the hoop-skirt I already owned and the bodice did not flatter me. To save time I used the unflattering bodice pattern as a starting point to draft my own, altering it heavily to fit and flatter me properly, and I created a simple drawstring waisted circle skirt to fit over my hoop-skirt. The sleeve caps and waist flounces were simple rectangular ruffles draped and arranged until I had the right look.
For the fabric I had originally fancied using a bold pattern, but chose against it as I wanted the costume to be immediately recognizable to children. I settled on a dull satin with a slight watermark pattern that was meant for curtains, it’s heavier weight made the skirt drape nicely and gave the bodice good structure. For the sleeves and waist flounces I chose organza from the bridal department that I felt matched well and also stayed within my budget.
Construction wise, the skirt and bodice were made to be slightly adjustable in size as I wanted to be able to lend it to my cosplay friends and accommodate my weight that often fluctuates with health issues. The skirt is four panels with pockets built into the seams and a ribbon drawstring, for comfort I was sure to use a wide ribbon as thinner ones tend to cut into the body painfully when used on a heavy skirt. The bodice was put together like a corset and features an inner strength layer under the blue satin, felled seams for steal boning, and lined. It was not meant for tight-lacing, but to have good support and a sturdy structure for slight body shaping. I owe a thank you to Heather at Scoundrelle’s Keep for selling me boning from her stash as my needs did not meet the minimum order requirements of most boning sellers. To add a little extra luxury to the top I machine ruffled organza ribbon for the neckline. The most tedious part was the arm openings and bottom of the bodice which had to be hand sewn as the the bulk of the fabric did not allow for turning out and I wanted as much neatness as possible.
For the signature headband I used one that I already owned and covered it in scraps from the dress. Instead of pearls that others often use for Cinderella I chose vintage crystal earrings as I have a love of rhinestones and they photograph well, and the choker is black velvet ribbon dressed up with a antique chandelier jewel and fitted with a silver chain clasp.
Finishing off the ensemble were store bought opera length gloves with an added a faux fur shrug for the cold weather. For the styling I had fun doing frosted/sparkly eye makeup paired with rosey lips, but the hair was the most difficult as I insisted on using my own. I accomplished the look by pulling it up high and wrapping it around a hair foundation, or rat, similar to how ladies in the 50’s did their high bouffants. This was nice as I didn’t have to tease my hair to get the volume for the shape, making it easier to take down later.
This costume currently remains unfinished as I have yet to find perfect glass slippers, so for now this Cinderella wears Converses under her ballgown. Though I kind of prefer it that way